Lakeshore Recycling and Disposal is the current recycling and waste contractor for the City.
- Curbside garbage is picked up every Wednesday
2023 Curbside Recycling Schedule
- January 4th and 18th
- February 1st and 15th
- March 1st, 15th and 29th
- April 12th and 26th
- May 10th and 24th
- June 7th and 21st
- July 6th and 19th
- August 2nd, 16th and 30th
- September 13th and 27th
- October 11th and 25th
- November 8th and 22nd
- December 6th and 20th
If your scheduled day lands on a holiday (see list below), you may put your garbage and recycling out 1 day later. The following are Lakeshore Recycling & Disposal's observed Holidays:
- New Years
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
Each City customer is entitled to one ninety-five (95) gallon roll-out cart for solid waste at no charge.
How to put out your container
- Containers must be placed at ground level on the customer’s property
- Placed on or adjacent to the curbing or pavement edge
- Placed within the right-of-way of an opened public street abutting the front side of the unit's property
- Containers must be accessible within six (6) feet from the side of the street where the collection is made
Items not allowed
- Batteries larger than D-cell
- Chemicals & fuels
- Household hazardous waste
- Construction materials/debris
- Compact fluorescent bulbs
- Yard waste
- Items sticking out of can
*Ashes/sand: Very small amount is permitted as long as the driver can easily lift the can. If you need to dispose, split the load in another can or in next week’s pick up. If you dispose of it in another bag outside of the can, call the office so a drivers note can be made
**Paint cans must be completely dry and left outside by the can with the lid off (kitty litter or sand in the can left in the sun dries liquid paint. Click HERE for another great idea.
How to recycle
- Placed in an eighteen (18) gallon recycling bin marked with the City logo; or,
- Placed in a ninety-five (95) gallon recycling roll-out cart, which is available by calling Lakeshore at 877-LAKE-877; or,
- Additional amounts of recyclables beyond the amounts in the recycling container(s) may be placed in either brown paper grocery bags or transparent plastic bags.
- There is no limit to the amount of recyclables which may be placed out by customers for collection.
What you can recycle
Recycling collection service handles the following items:
“Recyclables”. Waste, including newspapers and inserts, paperboard, cardboard, corrugated paper, magazines, telephone directories, clear, brown and green glass, aluminum, steel and tin cans, lids and foils, and PETE (No. 1), HDPE-1 (No. 2) and HDPE-2 (No. 2) plastic containers and lids. Also includes any material(s) which may become mandated as a recyclable by any local, state, or federal agency. You may place any of these items in either the 18 Gallon Recycle Bin or the 95 Gallon Recycle Rollout Cart for pickup.
Lakeshore will be collecting all yard waste on weekly on Wednesday from April 1st - October 31st.
Materials collected include:
- grass, brush, leaves, weeds
- limbs up to 4″ in diameter no longer than 4 feet.
- All material other than limbs should be in biodegradable bags, a 32 gallon can or bundle tied with a 50 pound limit.
- Residents may lease a 64 gallon cart from Lakeshore at a rate of $3.00/month billed to the resident
- please contact Lakeshore, 269-231-5623 or 877-LAKE-877 (877-525-3877).
The City will continue to collect leaves raked to the curb in the spring and fall and will ONLY collect brush resulting from storm damage.
The contractor for the City’s solid waste collection service is also responsible for collecting Bulky Waste which may be placed along the normal solid waste collection area; however, customers need to notify Lakeshore Recycling & Disposal at 877-525-3877 prior to collection day.
“Bulky Waste”. Any items excluding prohibited materials which, combined or separated, are over and above any volume, length, size, and/or quantity restrictions required for normal collection.
The City’s contractor for recycling and solid waste collection services is not required to collect Prohibited Materials:
- All appliances containing chlorofluorocarbons (C.F.C.’s) including but not limited to refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, and dehumidifiers.
- Large amounts of scrap metal, lumber, and construction or demolition debris which is more than two cubic yards (2 cu. yds) in volume, longer than four feet (4 ft) in length, and/or unbundled.
- Compostable organic matter resulting from the maintenance of lawns, gardens, landscaping, and trees, including grass clippings, tree branches, brush, and leaves. Also includes tires and any other material which is or may become unlawful to place in a landfill by any local, state, or federal agency.
Some Prohibited Materials may be collected by Lakeshore Recycling & Disposal under certain conditions at their discretion. Please contact them for information regarding specific needs, 877-525-3877. Please make other arrangements for materials which will not be collected by Lakeshore Recycling & Disposal.