The Street Department is responsible for
- maintaining the public streets of the City — other than US Route 12 (Buffalo Street), which is the responsibility of the Michigan Department of Transportation. Maintenance of streets includes snow removal, cleaning, patching, signing, and marking, in addition to preservation, reconstruction, resurfacing, restoration and rehabilitation.
- Managing the City's storm water system including buried drainage pipes, open ditches, natural ravines, rain gardens, oil separators, and more. Proper stormwater management prevents flooding and keeps the water that flows into Lake Michigan as clean as possible.
- the sanitary sewer collection system is maintained by the Street Department, with assistance from the Galien River Sanitary District (GRSD) Sewer Authority. Sanitary sewers are used to collect wastewater from toilets, sinks, indoor showers, clothes washers, dishwashers, and garbage disposals
- The City has authority over the planting, trimming, and removing of trees and shrubs in City rights-of-way. Please contact the Street Department to report trees in a City right-of-way which are diseased, dead, or a threat to public safety. After major storms the Street Department removes broken tree branches left by residents and property owners at the edge of the street.
- Planting, trimming, and the removal of trees and shrubs in City rights-of-way. Please contact the Street Department to report trees in a City right-of-way which are diseased, dead, or a threat to public safety.